June 2, 2010 § 1 Comment
I hate, hate, HATE LA traffic. Today I had to drive down to UCLA for the 11th Annual Memory and Learning Symposium hosted by UCLA’s Neuroscience Research Institute. I thought I was lucky because the first 30 miles or so of the drive were pretty smooth. Then during the last 18 miles of the freeway or so, I hit this:
A 50 drive turned into 2.5 hrs. Granted, it was 8am and thus the rush hour.
But I left UCLA at 1:50pm, but still ran into this:
Even worse. I really wanted to bang my head against my window just then. It was almost a 3 hr drive back. Not cool. Not cool at all.
There was not one, but two accidents on the freeway on my way home that caused the 10+ mile hold-up, and then a road construction. Only on LA freeways folks.
Nevertheless, I came home ready to make dinner that I had been planning since yesterday.
Simple Sweet & Sour Chick’n
- 1 T corn starch
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar
- 1-2 T honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly minced ginger
- 1 T Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup vinegar (I used Rice Vinegar)
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
The veggies part is versatile, but for this I used:
- yellow pepper
I also added TJ’s Chicken-less strips.
- Combine vinegar, broth, and soy sauce. In a separate bowl, mix together the brown sugar and corn starch. Add the corn starch mixture to the liquids, stir to combine. Then add in honey and minced ginger. Stir well. Set sauce aside.
- Saute the garlic on medium-high heat in additional broth till slightly browned. Add veggies. If pan seems dry add some more broth, then cover to let them cook.
- Just before the veggies are completely cooked, add the sauce. Make sure the stir sauce again before adding into the pan since the honey and vinegar would settle to the bottom.
- Saute for an additional two minutes or so.
I served these on brown rice, but you can also serve with white rice or noodles of your choice.
I might go for some chocolate for dessert later 😀
+ Do you live in a city with heavily congested traffic?