- 3 large, ripe bananas (the browner the better!), well mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup almond meal (almond slices + food processor for a few pulses)
- 1/3 cup flax seeds
- 1/3 cup coconut, finely shredded & sweetened
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup dried cherries or other dried fruit of your choice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put the rack on the top third of the oven.
In a large bowl combine the bananas, vanilla extract, and apple sauce. Set aside.
In another bowl whisk together the oats, almond meal*, flax seeds, shredded coconut, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined.
Fold in the chocolate chunks and dried fruit.
Drop Tablespoon-fulls, onto a Silpat lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 – 14 minutes.
*I didn’t have almond meal at hand at that time, so I actually used flax meal with a tablespoon or two of whole wheat flour. Turned out fine, but I will try it again using almond meal in the future and let you guys know!